This site is sponsored by the
American Resources Group®
374 Maple Ave. East, Suite 310
Vienna, VA 22180
(703) 255-2700 ♦
Fax: (703) 281-9200
Copyright 2009 American Resources, Inc. All Rights
CALL FOR VOLUNTEERS TO STAFF HIGH ROCK
FIRE LOOKOUT, COWLITZ RANGER DISTRICT, GIFFORD PINCHOT NATIONAL
For additional information see National Historic Lookout
US# 387, WA# 47.
High Rock Lookout was constructed in 1929 as a major fire
detection station on the old Columbia National Forest. This
historic site has remained active, but in recent years has been
out of commission. In 2008 Historic Lookouts LLC will
again staff it with volunteers from June 30
through September 15. The site is a popular hiking destination,
so you will have plenty of visitors.
1) Be in good physical condition and not adverse to hiking.
Lookout is reached by trail. One must be willing to hike and
stay in the lookout under primitive conditions. Water and food
must be packed in. Days off can be arranged.
2) You must enjoy visiting with people, and being outdoors in a
3) Term of service, negotiable but a three week minimum is
requested. Applications for shorter assignments will be
accepted, but given lower priority. This is a voluntary
assignment and no stipend or travel money is available.
4) Single or Couples accepted.
Please apply to
1) Name and U.S. mail address.
2) Email and telephone contact.
3) Experience in
a) Lookout repair (in none, say NA)
b) Staffing lookouts (if none, say NA)
4) Dates you will be available from June 15 through Sept. 15.
You submissions will be acknowledged. Thank you!
High Rock Project
Historic Lookouts LLC